Frequently Asked Questions
Once commissioned, there are three key stages to publishing your community-powered website and app:
There are four key stages to the build phase:
- Develop - The team creates your platform. Communication is key at this stage. You’re kept in the loop the whole time, while we gather material and feedback from you to make sure everything is configured correctly.
- Design - Zipline’s three tier design service ensures your website and app get the look and feel you want.
- Test - We test everything, all the time! You’ll have the opportunity to test and review yourself before your website and app go live.
- Publish - Your website is taken live as soon as you are ready. Your iOS and Android app are submitted for review*.
The time it takes to cover these three stages will depend, in part, on the complexity of the project. If your platform relies on the Zipline Community Package and the supporting bolt-ons alone, it can take as little as two weeks to have everything set up and published. If your project has more complex requirements, that need Custom Development, it may take longer. We'll always give you an indicator of build time in these instances.
If you need to get an idea in advance of commission, we recommend talking to one of the team.
*it can take time to publish your app to the iOS and Android app stores. This is due to the app submission process of Apple and Google.
The app is published by us, to your own Apple App Store and Google Play account. This means you will need to create accounts for both platforms. We will provide you with all the details you need to do this, including the text you will need to prepare to promote your app and details on how to give us access, so we can publish your app.
From time to time, we will update your app on your behalf. This will ensure your app is up to date and compatible with the latest operating systems, services, etc
Note that Apple requires you to have an Apple Developer Account, which has a yearly fee of $99
- You can add bolt-on features whenever you want. Just get in touch with a member of the Zipline team and they will walk you through the process.
- The Zipline team are experts at building bespoke tools, features and services! You can commission these at any time. Find out more.
Note - adding new features may require an update to your app too.
Your community is built using WordPress as a foundation. One of the great things about WordPress is the ability to add plugins. These are pieces of software that can extend the functionality of your website. When we hand your community website over to you, it will come with a range of plugins already added.
Your community website is yours. So if you wish to add plugins yourself, you certainly can. However, adding plugins by yourself will mean the following
- If you are running custom code, the one year warranty will be voided. In most instances, this can be rectified by rolling back the plugin.
- We cannot guarantee the security of your website - third party plugins can be made by anyone. And without knowing who created the plugins, we are unable to provide assurances.
- You may find adding a plugin affects your app - this may mean you can’t see a feature you added to your community website appearing on your app. Or it may, in extreme cases, break you app.
If in doubt...
For peace of mind, we recommend working with a professional developer, or contacting our team. We offer an incredible array of development and support services. Read about them on our Custom Development page.
You are free to end your subscription at any time. Here’s what you need to know.
- You keep your community website!
- Your website is built using WordPress as a foundation. Wordpress is a free to use, open source platform. And you will have access to that platform. What’s even better is you can access the massive community of Wordpress developers, who can work with you to build on your community website.
- You’re hosting will end
- You will need to transfer your website to your own server (or to a third party that provides hosting services). We will take your website off-line at the end of your contract. We will securely store your site for three months after your end of contract date *. At any time during the three months, you will be able to transfer your website to your own server.
- If you need assistance transferring your website, we can help. Just get in touch.
- You will lose access to your app
- We won’t remove your app from the app stores (you can do so if you wish). But the content of your community will not load into the app.
- If at any time you wish to restart your subscription, your app will be reinstated.
Third party plugins
Your Community Website is built using a range of third party plugins. While you are paying the subscription fee, these licenses will be covered as part of the subscription fee. If you choose to stop paying the subscription fee, you may need to purchase licenses for these plugins to keep them up to date.
A range of features and functionality for your Your Community Website come from the Zipline Community Plugin. If you cancel your subscription, you will be given a 6 month license and support to the Zipline Community Plugin. During this time, you will have access to any updates that are released. At the end of the 6 months, your website will continue to work. But you will not have access to any updates. After this time, you can purchase an additional 12 month license fee separately, in order to have access to updates and support.
You have 100% ownership of the data on your website and app *.
While your site is hosted by us, that data will be stored on our servers. We will not access this data without your express permission. We never use your data for any purpose other than to support your website.
Personally Identifiable Data
Out of the box, your platform is designed to not share Personally Identifiable Data (PID) with other community members. It is your responsibility to ensure this reminds the case. By default, Admins can access personally identifiable data. It is your responsibility to ensure that any assigned an admin account is tracked and monitored by your own DPO. Additional Admin roles can be created to limit access to PID.
Removal of all Data
If you choose to end your subscription, after three months, all your website data will be deleted. If you want to save the data, you can download it (or transfer the site to your own sever and continue to run the website). You can ask us to delete this data before the three months has elapsed and at any time during your subscription.
Removal of individual member Data
Tools are available within the CMS to allow you to:
- Remove individual member data
- Share all member generated data with that member
Still have questions?
If in doubt, we recommend getting your Date Protection Officer to contact Zipline.
* at time of writing, no personally identifiable data is stored on the app.
You will have access to any custom code that has been added to your community website, and will have a license to use that code, for that website, for as long as you want.
If you stop paying for the subscription, you and your member’s access to your app will end. This means you will not have access to any custom development created for your app. If you choose to return to the subscription service, you will have the ability to use those features again.
Create your Community Today
Build a feature rich, member focused community.
It's good to talk! The Zipline Team are here to help with your community related queries.